Tuesday 24 March 2020
Dear Tree Wardens,
I hope you and your loved ones are navigating your way safely through these difficult times.
Yesterday evening, Monday 23 March, the government announced further restrictions on the general public and so we have updated guidance for all Tree Wardens.
The new government rules state that all non-essential activities are to be cancelled. For your own safety and that of other people, we ask all Tree Wardens to follow the latest guidance below:
- Cancel ALL events scheduled before 1 May 2020, including planting events, even if planned on your own
- Do not attend meetings with other Tree Wardens or members of the public
- Do not carry out any conservation work on land you do not own or with more than one other person
- Do not meet members of the public to give advice on tree matters
- Do not visit trees/properties in relation to applications for works to trees subject to TPOs or Section 211 Notifications for Works to Trees Within Conservation Areas. If you or your network comment on applications for works to trees subject to TPOs or Section 211 Notifications for Works to Trees Within Conservation Areas and can continue these activities safely without leaving your homes, you can continue to do so.
Thank you to Tree Warden Coordinator John Fleetwood for giving us permission to share his excellent guidance in this briefing.
From today, Tuesday 24 March, for the safety of our volunteers and the general public, we must insist these actions are taken and anyone who continues to carry out activities does so against The Tree Council’s instruction. I apologise for the strong language. It is simply that we have to be very clear about the dangers involved and we must all follow the law.
We will continue to update you and will notify Tree Wardens as soon as we are able to lift these restrictions.
LATEST GOVERNMENT RULES
As of 23 March, government issued three new rules to prevent the spread of coronavirus:
- Requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes
- Closing non-essential shops and community spaces
- Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public
These measures are effective immediately and will be enforced. The Government will review these measures in three weeks.
Get in touch
This is a difficult and sometimes frightening time. If you have any questions or concerns relating to your work as a Tree Warden, please don’t hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com. The Tree Council team continues to work from home and will respond to you as soon as they can.
Kind regards and take care,